On Tuesday May 15th, 2018, the University of Kibungo (UNIK) hosted a consultative meeting convened and chaired by the Minister of State in charge of Agriculture, Honorable Fulgence NSENGIYUMVA.
The objective of this consultative meeting was mainly to explore areas of collaboration between MINAGRI and agriculture higher learning institutions. Each institution presented its ongoing projects, with an emphasis specifically put on possible partnerships.
Main areas of research and collaboration proposed include among others:
- Extension services
- Post-harvest handling & storage
- Climate change adaptation: Irrigation development
- Crop Diseases and pests controls
- Soil and water management;
- Bio-technology (Seed technology, plant and animal processing)
- Capacity building in the Agriculture sector
The State Minister in charge of Agriculture, Honorable Fulgence NSENGIYUMVA concluded the meeting by thanking all Agriculture Institutions and Higher Learning Institutions and by commending them for the role they play in the socio-economic development of the country. He also recommended these institutions to join hands to ensure sustainable national food security.