The Center for Language Learning and Improvement (CAL) is one of the three Centers of the University ofKibungo (UNIK). The Center was set up in 2004 with the aims to build and develop language skills for INATEK faculty, staff and students as well as local communities. Moreover, the Center is committed to promoting, sustaining, and encouraging effective multilingualism through training sessions in English, French, Kinyarwanda and Kiswahili, with emphasis on English which is the official medium of instruction. The Center (CAL) is currently carrying out various training sessions in English to the benefit of UNIK students and staff as well as local public and private institutions. There are several courses depending on the purpose, either academic or professional. As regards credibility, the Center CAL was recognized by the Ministry of Education in 2003 at the same time as the Institute itself. Since its inception in 2003, the Center CAL has completed some substantial achievements, including the following:
- Designing and teaching the module for the course: basic communication skills in all departments;
- Taking part in internship and memoir supervision upon request of the Department of Arts and Humanities/English-French with Education division;
- Organizing and implementing the First Annual Symposium on English Language Teaching in Rwanda;
- Surveying on students’ needs with regard to the use of English as a medium of instruction;
- Organizing the Annual Language Day bringing together secondary schools of Ngoma District as well as HLIs located in the Eastern Province for literary competitions;
- Organizing English training sessions for the benefit of UNIK faculty and staff;
- Carrying out English training sessions to some informal groups from public and private Universities;
- Delivering language-related services such as translation, editing, and meeting reporting.
In order to better meet the beneficiaries’ expectations and needs, the Center considers revisiting its mission, policy, structure and activity organization.
For more information please contact:
Director of Research
Mr. AMINI NGABONZIZA Jean de Dieu